Sunday, April 5, 2009

What Next?

I recently attended a master class with Russ Mitchell. The last part of the hour was spent with students questions and Mitchell's answers.  One question really stood out to me and it was "how far will journalism keep going?" Journalism used to be strictly news but now its news, opinions, entertainment, opinions... and more opinions. I recently saw on the FOX NEWS website that Bridget Marquardt, ex girlfriend of Hugh Hefner, has her own show now on the Travel Channel.  She goes to different beaches and shows the different aspects of what they offer.  I thought, hmm...Is this what we are coming to? I have always considered the Travel Channel to be respected and informational with some shows and documentaries that are educational and interesting on certain places. I think this is taking it to far to let a play boy model (who lays on beaches all day) report about what beaches are best fitting for her.  This is hardly journalism and not informational but only entertainment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment