Sunday, February 22, 2009

Banning Homework?

I'm an indulgent of national news programs.  I can't get enough of CNN, FOX, and MSNBC.  I love it all.  I recently found a top-viewed video from Greg Gutfeld titled "Cruel and Unusual." He had an 11-year-old fifth grader on his show.  This boy's name is Benjamin Barrafato.  His teacher made him write an essay about three world issues he wold like to change for homework.  It turns out he couldn't think of any so he wrote about wanting to ban homework-he even began a petition and has 30 signatures! I loved watching Gutfeld and his co-hosts interview Barrafato.  I think Barrafato did a wonderful job, his answers were so honest as most children tend to be.  The whole time I watched the interview I thought about Wayne Freedman's book "It Takes More Than Good Looks."  In chapter three, Freedman says fifth graders are the best age to interview children.  I have to agree after seeing this interview between Barrafato and Gutfeld because Barrafato's answers were clear but still had the innocence of a child.  I think Gutfeld did a good job of asking the questions that showed Barrafato's emotions and thinking process.  It was a cute interview.  

1 comment: